Like a lot of bloggers, I’m a night owl. I have a day job as well, and I find that I get my best writing done when I’m alone in a dark house.
When I’m up working late writing about how to make money online, I sometimes turn the television on for some comforting background noise.
Late-late-night television tends to be a lot of infomercials, and a lot of very muscular men and women yelling at me, telling me it only takes X amount of time to get these rippling abs or X amount of money to find my perfect diet.
I know about several diets like Medifast or Nutrisystem and I know they work, but diet is not enough. Exercise is important if you want to stay healthy and be more effective as a blogger.
While I frantically rummage around for my credit card, I realize that the tightness in my hamstrings and low back probably mean I should start with more practical movement, increase my flexibility and strengthen the muscles that really matter before working on those vanity abs.
How bloggers can fit exercise into their schedule?
Here’s a short presentation:
I’m still tempted by the infomercial guy’s promise of a small time commitment to health. We’re busy people.
So, with some trial and error and some help from a personal trainer, here are a few ways to fit fast, functional exercise into your busy daily life.
- Play more. If you have kids or can borrow someone else’s, play a game of one-on-one basketball or kick a soccer ball around. Activities like these get you moving and increase your heart rate, speeding your metabolism and giving you a healthy dose of mood-enhancing endorphins.
- Go for a walk. If this sounds silly or easy, add in some circuit training every 5 or 10 minutes. Do jumping jacks, lunges or burpies for 30 seconds at each stop, then continue your walk to bring your heart rate back down.
- Go for a jog. If you have children, bring them along in a jogging stroller or have them ride their bikes ahead of you.
- Clean the house! If you’ve ever gotten into a cleaning tear, you know that you can work up quite a sweat. Sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, organizing or rearranging furniture can all make you (and your home) feel better.
- Take the stairs. If you live or work in a building with an elevator, start taking the stairs instead. Start with one or two flights before hopping on the elevator, and eventually work your way up to taking stairs the whole way up and down.
- Walk home from work. If you usually take the train or bus, get off a stop or two early so you have to walk a bit on your way home.
- Take breaks. While blogging, do push ups or sit ups between tasks, then relax or stretch your legs as you type.
- Take a break outside. If you’re so lucky to have a regular lunch break, use it to take a walk outdoors.
- Dance party! Alone or with a partner or friend, crank up the music and dance it out.
- Stretch while you’re on the phone. While you listen to you mom complain about your other siblings, do some simple stretching.
- Tackle your to-do list. Wash the car, cut the grass or do some gardening to work long-forgotten muscles.
- Practice yoga. Use your extra 30-60 minutes in the morning to practice yoga, go for a run, or follow an exercise DVD. Not only does yoga help with weight loss, it also gives you tremendous inspiration and energy when you blog.
- Stretch at your desk. Between projects, take a few minutes to stretch out. You don’t even need to leave your chair!