Digital marketing plays a pivotal role in achieving the business bottom-lines in the modern business ecosystems. The impact of video, mobile and voice search is getting stronger and makes it to the top of hot marketing trends, which predict that more than 82% of the digital content will be video by 2021. Only the dynamic, responsive, scalable, fast, and reliable websites and web applications would survive in the existing cutthroat competition in the marketplace.
To build a website with all of the above features and capabilities, you should choose the right programming language like PHP. The hypertext preprocessor language commonly referred as PHP language is a server-side scripting language. The PHP script for the server is interpreted at the runtime on the server to accomplish a particular routine task. Similarly, the client side script is interpreted by the client application. The script of a PHP code, which contains the PHP tags, is normally embedded in other software environments like HTML to improve the website capabilities. There are many features and capabilities that make it one of the leading scripting languages in the world so there’s no wonder companies tend to hire PHP web developer and, as a result, get one of the most affordable back-end solutions.
The Popularity of PHP Frameworks
The PHP language is very popular for server-side programming for websites and web applications. According to the W3 Tech survey, the share of PHP language in the server-side scripting language market is about 83.5%, followed by the distant second ASP.Net with just 13% share. According to the PYPL index, PHP is the fourth most popular language in the world.
A PHP framework is a comprehensive PHP development architecture that consists of numerous reusable components, modules, security policies, and development methodologies. All those development components and gears help to achieve fast and professional grade web design and development. A large number of PHP frameworks are out there in the market. The key advantages of a high-level PHP framework include:
- Reusability of code to improve efficiency
- Reduction in the effort for code maintenance
- Proven industry best practices and compliances
- Awesome project collaboration and coordination
- Inbuilt web design and MVC capabilities
- Reduced software development time
- Increased code quality
Why Build a Website with PHP?
One of the simplest answers to this question is to make the website stand out from others in terms of SEO, website speed, performance, and digital marketing. The PHP language offers numerous technical and commercial benefits, which make it one of the most popular languages in the marketplace. Let’s have a look at the key advantages of using the PHP as a back-end development platform for the interactive and responsive websites.
- It is a very simple and easy to learn the language
- It helps improve the website responsiveness and performance hugely
- PHP is an open source scripting language, which does not require the license fee
- It offers full flexibility to develop custom software applications
- By default, almost all web hosting servers support PHP language
- PHP offers inbuilt support for the MySQL database, and also supports Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server, ODBC and others
- Support multiple operating platforms like Linux, Windows, Mac OS, and others
- It is a powerful server-side scripting that can run in the supported browsers on the client side
- PHP language offers great customer support powered by a large community and online documents
- PHP developers are easily available in the marketplace to create and maintain your websites
- It can be easily extended by many other languages
- It is very easy to integrate with the HTML software environment
Advantages of PHP Development
There are more than 20 million websites that use the PHP language on the server side. This is a clear indication of its popularity and the benefits that it offers to the users. To learn how to make a PHP website for blogs and other purposes is very easy through available documents, multimedia, and supportive community. The other key advantages of using the PHP web development projects include:
- The sufficient availability of the PHP developers in the market
- A substantial reduction in web development cost
- It handles online eCommerce processes and tools more efficiently
- Fast turnaround time for the completion of a PHP project
- The support to numerous database and OS platforms makes it more cost efficient
- No license fee is required to purchase this platform
- A professional grade customer support without any cost
- Regular update releases available to improve the robustness of the language
- The cost of training is much lower than many other languages
- No need to buy costly components for this platform, most of them are either inbuilt or available for free in the market
- It offers great performance, security, and reliability, which are necessary for creating a great user experience
According to the information on Marketing Folks website, the SEO ranking of the websites is heavily influenced by the user intent and experience. A good website developed with the PHP language improves the user experience greatly.
Top 10 PHP Website Examples
There are thousands of PHP website examples that are not only popular in the marketplace, but also very reliable and efficient in terms of their performance. Among such PHP websites, top 10 examples are mentioned below:
Yahoo is one of the popular search engines in the market. It offers numerous services like email, news, photos, finance, sports, lifestyle, entertainment, and many others. Yahoo is a US based company. The total revenue of the company stood at about $5.17 billion in 2017. The number of total visitors in the last six months was recorded at 5.4 billion. Yahoo uses PHP language on the server side along with a few other languages too. It uses the Apache web server at the backend.
Facebook is the largest social networking website that offers numerous commercial and personal services to customers. The major services include sharing photos, videos, live streaming, likes, and comments. Facebook has over 2.23 billion active users per day, according to the statistics of second quarter 2018. The company is based in California, USA. Facebook uses multiple languages including PHP on the server side. The Facebook users upload more than 300 million photos per day. More than 510 thousand comments are posted on Facebook per hour.
Baidu is the leading search engine and web portal in China with numerous services for Chinese users. The company recorded a huge growth in revenue in the second quarter of 2018. The company’s net revenue was recorded at $3.39 billion, with year over year growth of 32% in the second quarter of 2018. The company offers numerous services like Baidu maps, encyclopedia, analytics, online marketing, and many other services. The company uses PHP on the server side. The company is headquartered in the Haidian District of Beijing, China.
Flickr is a very popular photo sharing application. The website uses PHP technology on the server side to host and share a large volume of data on its servers. It uses the Apache server to host its PHP based website. This website has more than 90 million users per month. The total number of photos uploaded on any high-traffic day is about 25 million. Out of those 25 million uploaded photos, more than 1 million photos are shared on a daily basis. The company has a huge user base in more than 63 countries spread over all regions of the world.
Paytm is an online payment wallet platform. It supports different types of Smartphone devices like iPhone, Android, Windows, and others. It is one of the popular online payment wallet services in India. The Paytm uses PHP technology on the server side. The company has more than 300 million registered users and more than 80 million active users. The website handles more than 5 million transactions per day. The company also has a huge number (7 million) of Paytm merchants. The total volume of orders made through Paytm is about $60 million per month.
The PolicyBazaar website offers insurance policy comparison between different insurance companies in India. It is one of the best web services in the field of insurance. The website has handled over 6.08 million visitors in the month of August 2018. The website also handles numerous visits from the countries other than India like the USA, KSA, UAE, and others. The website uses PHP language on the server side along with a few other technologies. The company uses the AWS EC2 infrastructures for hosting of the website. The company is very consistently growing in terms of visitors during the past many years.
Tumblr is a social networking website that allows the users to create and share their ideas, blogs, images and any other knowledgeable things on the platform. It has already more than 435 million different kinds of blogs and counting. The website uses PHP language as its server-side technology. The company has more than 550 million users per month. The Tumblr website registers more than 120K users on a daily basis. It supports 18 different languages. The total number of Tumblr posts is about 158.1 billion till the month of August 2018.
The demand for a PHP web development company and the PHP developer is increasing consistently in the marketplace owing to a large number of PHP powered websites running in the world. This article concluded that:
- PHP is one of the popular server-side scripting languages in the market
- The demand of the PHP developers is high in the market
- There are hundreds of popular PHP frameworks in the market
- The PHP frameworks offer great advantages
- There are many good reasons to choose for the PHP language
- Millions of websites use PHP as the server-side language
- Top 10 websites that use PHP elaborated in details