A research paper is a titanic work. If we are talking about the high-quality product, it should be quality in all aspects. And one aspect is surely about spelling errors. You can discover a new planet or a new kind of population, but if your report is with mistakes, it won’t make such effect as it could:
- The easiest way is to use proofreading. There exist free online checkers. Their quality becomes higher and higher every day, but they are still not giving 100% result.
- There are some internal functions of proofreading as MS Word or Google Doc have.
- In addition, you can ask the specialist for proofreading. They do this job every day for hundreds of journals and books. On the other hand, you can feel enough power to deal with this assignment by yourself.
Anyway, there is a list of simple rules, which will help you in two ways at the same time. If after reading them, you will understand and feel that you already used them, then congratulations! Probably, your paper is free from possible errors, and you checked it for plagiarism too with a reliable plagiarism checker by Eduzaurus. But after reading you correct some spelling mistakes, congratulations again! You found them, and you will not repeat them again.
A Common Set of Spelling Errors in General
- Use simple, not long sentences. One thought – one sentence. It will help you with commas, colons and other punctuation marks. There will be less of them in the whole text, so harder to make a mistake.
- Use only words the meaning of which you know exactly. If there are special terms of your research make sure they can be correctly used with other terms or verbs.
- Don’t forget about the level of awareness of the audience which will read your paper. If we are talking about the scientific magazine, for example, don’t make footnotes or extra explanations. If you are writing for the less prepared audience, try to use well-known words even if they are simpler than your research is.
- You know, that there are British English, American English and Australian English. First, find out which one is more preferable to journal or your mentor. You may think that differences are not so big, but as it was written above, all the little things are important.
- The easiest way to understand if the spelling is simple for you is to check how you use articles. There are definite (”the”) and indefinite (”a”, ”an”) articles. Enough rules exist and there are also exceptions of using them but the simplest one is when you are talking about not specified common thing the first time, then use the indefinite article. Otherwise, use the definite article.
- Don’t forget commas after introductions, compound sentences and if you are creating a list.
- Try not to begin sentences with ”and”, ”but”, ”because”. Especially if there is a new paragraph. It seems like this sentence is without beginning.
- Using apostrophes correctly is also important. If you are not sure about it rephrase your sentence to a simpler one.
- You must remember that with every paper, article and report your writing skills will improve and one day you will not need any advice or corrections. But before it happens ‘don’t think that proofreading or correction of mistakes will take only a few minutes. And even if you think that everything is perfect, the redactor can give it back to you with comments and disagrees. You shouldn’t be afraid of this because even if there are no spelling errors there could be stylistic mistakes, another vision of redactor or even different style of the magazine.
Don’t think that they didn’t like your research paper, just change it according to rules. If you are too busy to write your own academic paper, you should try instant help with a research paper from a team of professional academic writers.